Thursday, September 13, 2007

When I Was Seventeen...

PLAY IT LOUD! FADE AWAY AND RADIATE by BLONDIE


...it was a very good year. My senior year, in fact, during which my Drama teacher was out on maternity leave and it fell to me to direct the Fall Shakespeare play. My "New Wave" production of A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM (MSND for short) was precocious, pretentious and precious. It was so popular that it called for a Spring reprise (more Shakespeare please? Damn straight!)

This was one of the 3 posters I designed for the show. A dear friend had held onto a treasure trove of materials from the production and surprised all of us ageing Drama Weinies with it during the weekend of our 25th class reunion.

Some trips in the "Way-Back" Machine are worth the price of admission.

Click the image to enlarge.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tim...what a blast from the past to see the poster. I knew back then that you were destined for greatness in art, comedy, theater or all of the above! Sorry that I didn't get to attend the reunion, but I've enjoyed the photos and your blog! Thanks for your perspectives!

jungle dream pagoda said...

Wish I could have seen it. Did I ever tell you I played Titania?The pretentious directors(thats right count em' 2) were SMU grad students(oops, did I just tug on both you AND my husbands super-hero cape?),they were doing this Dallas-esque( the city not the yucky TV show)version,and was plannning on making the queen of the faerie,a Deep Ellum healer type witch,that is ,until I showed up and read. They decided to resend that idea and go with a "real" faerie child.